Is your feline friend looking a bit slimmer than usual? Weight gain can be crucial for cats, especially if they’re recovering from an illness or simply underweight.
In this article, we will explore the best homemade cat food recipes for weight gain that will appeal to your cat’s taste buds and provide them with the essential nutrients they need to thrive.
Ready to cook up some kitty gains? Let’s dive in!
The Benefits of Homemade Cat Food for Weight Gain
Homemade cat food for weight gain offers several benefits, such as all-natural ingredients, pure protein, no additives or fillers, and essential nutrients necessary for a healthy feline diet.
Using high-quality ingredients ensures that your cat is getting the best nutrition possible.
Dr. Fox, a renowned veterinarian, recommends using all-natural ingredients like clams, eggs, cottage cheese, gelatin, and supplements such as kelp and nutritional yeast in his homemade cat food recipes for weight gain.
One of the key benefits of homemade cat food for weight gain is that it provides pure protein. Commercial cat food often contains soy and bean products as a source of protein, but homemade recipes allow you to use raw meat, which is rich in high-quality protein.
This means your cat will get the essential nutrients they need to build muscle and gain a healthy weight. Protein also helps satisfy their hunger, so they won’t constantly beg for more food.
No Additives or Fillers
Commercial cat foods often contain these unwanted ingredients, which can be harmful to your cat’s health and weight goals.
Making your own homemade cat food gives you complete control over what goes into their meals. You can use natural ingredients that are nutrient-dense and high in quality protein, like raw chicken and beef or bacon and salmon.
This means no artificial flavors or preservatives that could hinder their weight gain progress.
Nutritious homemade cat food recipes are packed with essential ingredients like taurine, Vitamin E, and B-Complex vitamins that support your cat’s overall well-being.
Including ingredients like bone meal for calcium and Wild Salmon Oil for omega-3 fatty acids can provide your cat with a balanced diet that promotes weight gain healthily.
Best Homemade Cat Food Recipes for Weight Gain
Discover a variety of vet-approved homemade cat food recipes that are perfect for helping your feline friend gain weight. From raw chicken and beef to delicious bacon and salmon, these recipes entice even the pickiest eaters.
#1. Chicken and Rice Delight
This recipe is an excellent source of balanced nutrition, as it combines lean chicken with rice to offer a perfect blend of protein and carbohydrates.
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded;
- 1/2 cup cooked rice;
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth (low-sodium);
- 1/4 teaspoon fish oil (optional).
- Cook chicken thoroughly and shred it into small pieces.
- Prepare rice each according to package instructions.
- Mix the chicken that has been cooked, rice, chicken broth and fish oil in a bowl.
- Mix well until all components are evenly distributed.
- Serve in proper portion sizes for your cat’s weight and size.
#2. Tuna and Sweet Potato Medley
This delicious recipe incorporates protein-packed tuna and nutrient-rich sweet potatoes to create a fulfilling meal.
- 1/2 cup canned tuna (in water), drained;
- 1/4 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes;
- 1 teaspoon olive oil;
- 1/4 teaspoon taurine supplement (consult your vet for the appropriate dosage).
- Strain the canned tuna and break it up into small chunks.
- Cook the sweet potatoes until soft and smash them thoroughly.
- Mix the flaked tuna, mashed sweet potatoes, olive oil, and taurine supplement in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well to provide even distribution of ingredients.
- Serve in proper portion sizes, considering your cat’s weight and size.
#3. Beef and Pumpkin Stew
This hearty stew combines protein-rich beef with fiber-packed pumpkin for a nutritious, calorie-dense meal.
- 1/2 cup lean ground beef;
- 1/4 cup cooked pumpkin (pureed);
- 1/4 cup peas (cooked);
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil.
- Cook the lean ground beef thoroughly, ensuring no pink remains.
- In a separate pot, cook the pumpkin until soft and puree it.
- Cook the peas separately until tender.
- Combine the cooked ground beef, pumpkin puree, peas, and coconut oil in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well to create a stew-like consistency.
- Serve in appropriate portion sizes for your cat’s weight and size.
#4. Salmon and Quinoa Delicacy
This dish is a nutritious meal that can help support weight gain. It combines omega-3-rich salmon with protein-packed quinoa.
- 1/4 cup cooked salmon (flaked);
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa;
- 1 tablespoon chicken bone broth (low-sodium);
- 1/4 teaspoon flaxseed oil.
- Cook the salmon until it flakes easily.
- Schedule the quinoa according to package instructions.
- Combine the flaked salmon, cooked quinoa, chicken bone broth, and flaxseed oil in a mixing bowl.
- Mix thoroughly until all ingredients are well combined.
- Serve in appropriate portion sizes based on your cat’s weight and size.
#5. Egg and Cheese Omelet
This recipe is a great way to enjoy a delicious, calorie-dense meal rich in protein and calcium. It combines eggs and cheese to create a satisfying and healthy dish.
- 2 eggs;
- 1 tablespoon grated cheese (low-sodium);
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them until well-mixed.
- Heat the unsalted butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the pan and spread them evenly.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the eggs.
- Cook the omelet until the eggs are fully set and the cheese has melted.
- Allow the omelet to cool and cut into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Considering their weight and size, serve an appropriate portion size for your cat.
Tips for Making Your Cat Gain Weight
Increase the amount of protein in their food and feed them the right amount to help your cat gain weight.
How to help a cat gain weight
Change Your Cat’s Food
Changing your cat’s food can be a simple yet effective way to help them gain weight.
Start by gradually introducing the new food alongside their current diet, allowing them time to adjust. Opt for high-calorie canned or wet cat food rich in protein and easy to digest.
Increase the Ration of Water
Increasing the amount of water, they consume can help keep them hydrated and promote a healthy appetite.
Cats are notorious for being picky with their water intake, so you can try a few tricks to encourage them to drink more.
Offering multiple sources of fresh water throughout your home, such as different bowls or even a pet fountain, can attract their attention and make drinking more appealing.
You can add warm water to their dry food or offer wet food with higher water content. Another option is to provide flavored water by adding low-sodium chicken broth or tuna juice to their bowl.
Check for Signs of Worms or Illness
You should check for signs of worms or illness in your cat. These conditions can affect their appetite and overall health, making it harder for them to put on those extra pounds.
Keep an eye out for symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, and a dull coat. If you notice any of these signs, consult with your veterinarian, as they can guide the best course of action.
Increase the Amount of Protein in Their Food
One effective strategy to help your cat gain weight is to increase the amount of protein in their food. Protein plays a crucial role in building and maintaining muscle mass, which can contribute to healthy weight gain for your furry friend.
Look for cat foods with a high protein percentage, preferably around 30 percent or more. Incorporating flavors like chicken, duck, and salmon into their diet ensures they receive essential amino acids for lean muscle development.
In addition, certain cat foods containing omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids promote overall health while aiding in weight gain.
Feed Them the Right Amount
To help your cat gain weight, feeding them the right amount of food is essential. Start by calculating the recommended daily calorie intake for your cat’s ideal weight and adjust their portions accordingly.
Be careful not to overfeed, leading to obesity and other health issues. Monitor their body condition score and adjust the portion sizes if needed.
Providing smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day can also benefit cats’ weight gain.
These homemade cat food recipes provide a great way to help your cat gain weight while ensuring they receive a well-balanced and nutritious diet.
By preparing meals with fresh ingredients and following these recipes, you can support your cat’s health and well-being.
Remember to consult with your veterinarian to determine the ideal weight gain plan for your feline companion. Offering these delicious homemade meals expresses your love and care for your cat’s optimal growth and development.
Thank you for reading!